Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
ABOUT ADVENT HEALTH
Advent Health Care is a not-for-profit, charitable organization affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church and is led by a volunteer board of directors. Advent Health Care currently serves the needs of the community with the operation of Valleyview Residence, a 174-bed long-term care home and Forestview Retirement Residence, an a 128-suite independent and assisted-living residence.
In collaboration with a Registered Nurse (RN), the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) demonstrates competency by carrying out nursing interventions within his/her scope of practice and takes responsibility for the consequences of decisions and actions taken.
The Registered Practical Nurse is accountable for maintaining competence as outlined in the College of Nurses of Ontario standards and guidelines.
The Registered Practical Nurse in collaboration with the Registered Nurse assigns aspects of care and supervises unregulated care providers (Personal Support Workers).
- Current College of Nurses of Ontario Registered Practice Nurse Certificate of Registration.
- Pharmacology Certificate.
- Relevant experience in a long term care / geriatric setting is preferred.
- Computer Skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed
Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)
- Has a clear understanding of and promotes Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), process documentation and Ministry of Health standards.
- Participates actively in the Continuous Quality Improvement Program.
- Coaches the RHA (Resident Home Area) care team on the application of the principles of CQI in their day-to-day work.
- Demonstrates good customer service, leadership, organization, supervisory and team building skills.
- Supports and actively participates in facility / unit orientation, facility in-service programs and ongoing education.
- Demonstrates a philosophy of life-long learning by seeking out and engaging in educational opportunities pertinent to long term care, and through ongoing Reflective Practice.
- Performs self-reflective practice annually and develops own learning plan to improve level of performance both for professional and personal growth.
- Provides resident care within the guiding principle that the resident and family are the central focus of care delivery and partners in the decision making process.
- Practices independently and to their full scope of practice when the resident’s condition is less complex, predictable and at low risk for negative outcome(s).
- Delegates task to care team members according to their scope of practice and competencies and evaluate performance outcomes with adequate follow-up to ensure care and services are provided according to established standards.
- Performs holistic assessments as required for MDS/RAI according to policies and procedures and collaborates with resident, family, and other care providers to provide input into a comprehensive plan of care that will be based on the resident’s care requirements, medical needs, strengths, abilities, and preferences.
- Consults with the RN when faced with situations that are beyond the RPN scope of practice and/or beyond their level of knowledge, skill and judgement.
- Implements components of current care plans that include established interventions with predictable outcomes.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of individual resident care.
- Completes nursing documentation according to professional standards, LTC documentation requirements, and based on policies and procedures. Maintains health records in compliance with legislations e.g. Privacy Act, Nursing Home Act.
- Documents systematically, accurately, and in a timely manner.
- Collects information regarding the individual resident’s physical, spiritual, social and emotional needs.
- Role models professional values, beliefs and attributes; knows Valleyview’s mission, vision and demonstrates commitment to the facility’s values in his/ her day to day practice.
- Acts as advocate for residents and families to ensure residents’ rights are protected.
- Develops staff to achieve performance expectations through orientation, supervision, teaching and mentoring.
- Participates in evaluating the performance of personal support workers.
- Participates in facility and external committees / interest groups as required.
- Contributes to conflict resolution and the development of practice issue solutions.
- Provides input on staff probationary evaluations, annual evaluations, staff recognition awards, disciplinary actions and performance management issues. Responsible to identify performance issues to his/ her manager as they occur.
- Assists in the development and evaluation of unit goals and objectives, improving nursing standards, and development of policies and procedures.
Teamwork and Communication
- Uses good interpersonal relations and effective communication skills (verbal and nonverbal).
- Establishes and fosters a therapeutic relationship with residents and families through ongoing communication and solicitation of feedback.
- Is receptive to concerns expressed by residents and relevant others and passes on information appropriately.
- Maintains an abuse-free living and working environment.
- Fulfils requirements according to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and Workplace Hazardous Material Information System. This includes maintaining a clean, efficient and safe working environment, recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, as well as participating in fire safety and emergency activities.
- Provides directions to staff to ensure use of equipment and supplies are in accordance with policies and procedures, manufacturer’s instructions, and health and safety regulations..
- Practices good body mechanics and lifting/transfer techniques.
- Ensures compliance with routine practices and effective implementation of appropriate infection control protocols based on surveillance of risks and outbreak management.
REPORTS TO: Resident Care Manager and Director of Care
Interested Candidates should email their resumes to:
Bob Honest, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Position open until filled
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To Apply Online, please attach your cover letter and resume using the “Browse” button below. Click “Submit” when you are ready to send.