Personal Support Worker (PSW)
ABOUT ADVENT HEALTH
Advent Health Care is a not-for-profit, charitable organization affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church and is led by a volunteer board of directors. Advent Health Care currently serves the needs of the community with the operation of Valleyview Residence, a 128-bed long-term care home and Forestview Retirement Residence, an a 128-suite independent and assisted-living residence.
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse, the Personal Support Worker is responsible for the care of his/her assigned residents, plus other duties as assigned by the Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse.
- Must be a graduate of a Personal Support Worker course in Ontario.
- Related experience in long term care setting preferred.
- Certificate of participation in a food safety awareness program offered by the Board of Health.
- Strong Computer Skills.
Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)
- Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) program
- Attend in-service education in order to keep informed of current trends in resident care practices.
- Participates actively in the orientation program.
- Assists in the nursing process by observing and reporting changes in the residents’ physical and emotional condition.
- Know the guidelines of care for his/her assigned residents as outlined in the resident care Kardex, and provides resident care according to these guidelines.
- Delivers personal care in a manner that promotes comfort and safety for the resident during activities of daily living in accordance with the standards of resident care set out in the nursing manuals.
- Provides cognitive, social, emotional support to residents.
- Promotes independence of residents in his/her activities of daily living.
- Observes and respects resident’s individual rights and choices.
- Acknowledges the resident’s need for dignity and privacy.
- Provides input into the plan of care.
- Documents accurately and legibly on appropriate records reflecting each residents’ condition, care and specific needs.
- Shares responsibility for the care of the resident’s personal belongings
- Assists the resident with use and care of adaptive/prosthetic devices.
Teamwork and Communication
- Maintains effective communication and good relations with residents, families and significant others.
- Participates as a team member in co-operation with other departments to ensure quality care of the resident.
- Maintains effective communication, both written and verbal with co-workers.
- Uses the appropriate lines of communication with supervisory staff.
- Demonstrates safety consciousness by maintaining a clean and safe work environment, practising good body mechanics and lifting/transfer techniques.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes appropriate actions.
- Participates in fire drills and emergency measure practice
- Adheres to infection control policies and procedures.
- Shares responsibility for the care of the equipment in the facility.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and Workplace Hazardous Material Information System. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under the applicable legislation, as well as participating in in-services and fire drills.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be available to work every other weekend.
REPORTS TO: Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse
Interested Candidates should email their resumes to:
Bob Honest, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Position open until filled
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To Apply Online, please attach your cover letter and resume using the “Browse” button below. Click “Submit” when you are ready to send.