GERIATRIC RECREATIONAL AND LEISURE ACTIVITIES COUNSELLOR
Geriatric Recreational and Leisure Activities Counsellor
Canada Summer Jobs Program
CANADA SUMMER JOBS PROGRAM
This position is part of the Canada Summer Jobs program under the Government of Canada. This opportunity addresses one of the national priorities, which is to provide job opportunities to black and other racialized youth, particularly those facing barriers to the labour market. Candidates must be aged 18-30, identify as a black or other racialized youth and have a valid Social Insurance Number.
ABOUT ADVENT HEALTH
Advent Health Care Corporation (Advent Health) is a not-for-profit, charitable organization affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church and is led by a volunteer board of directors. Advent Health currently serves the needs of the community with the operation of Valleyview Residence, a 174-bed long-term care home and Forestview Retirement Residence, a 128-suite independent and assisted-living residence.
Under the direction of the Life Enrichment Manager, the Geriatric Recreational and Leisure Activities Counsellor will support and assist staff in the Life Enrichment Department (Forestview) and the Programs Department (Valleyview) in implementing and executing activities and events designed to enhance the physical, cultural, social, spiritual, intellectual and emotional wellbeing of the residents.
- Minimum grade 12 education
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 30
- Must provide proof of at least 3 doses of a Covid-19 vaccine
- Must complete a Police Check – Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must have a completed TB test (not older than 6 months) or be willing to have one completed
- Must have an interest in a career in life enrichment, health care and/or gerontology
- Enrolled in a program from a recognized post-secondary institution in the field of life enrichment, health care and/or gerontology considered an asset
- Must be computer literate in Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to converse in both oral and written English is essential
- Participates in the life enrichment programs at both the retirement home and long-term care home
- Assists Department Managers with implementing and developing programs
- Promotes resident awareness and participation in programs
- Assists in planning and organizing special events
- Engage with residents and their loved ones during events and activities
- Works with community groups, departments, and volunteers in resident activities and communicates using email and phone
- Operate audio/visual equipment for programs and activities
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act and Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems
- Complies with all relevant corporate policies and procedures
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Proposed Start Date: Monday, May 15, 2023 (Date can be adjusted if requested)
- Length: 8 weeks (Candidate must be able to complete 8 weeks in the position. Request for time off during their employment can be considered)
- Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day (Candidate may be needed to attend an event that occurs on the weekend. An alternate day off will be provided.)
- Hourly Rate: $17.00
Interested applicants should send their cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible.